2020年6月30日火曜日

Nerve flow and numbness in the hands

This article is a translation of an article written in February 2014.
Three days ago, there was a crisp sound of nerves in my shoulder(※refer to "今日の神経の流れる感触(2/3)", but sorry, it's written in Japanese), and for the next few days, the nerves in my shoulder area were accelerating.

And when I was on the train back home today, I raised my hand and was holding on to the railing, but after I dropped my hand on the way, I was attacked by more intense nerve flow and more severe numbness than usual. Such a numbness in my hand lasted for more than 30 minutes.

I did some research on "numbness".
I checked it on a Japanese site, and the numbness(痺れ)page of Wikipedia had the following description.
  • When the blood flow in the blood vessel is stopped for some reason, the central nerves and peripheral nerves are damaged, so the phenomenon occurs such that having a limb 'fall asleep' or continuing an abnormal sensation of being constantly given an electric shock.
  • Basically, it can be considered that numbness can easily occur if there is nerve compression or blood flow disorder.
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome is highly suspicious if it involves only the first to third fingers, which are the areas of control of the median nerve.
As I wrote in the previous article about "Symptoms similar to carpal tunnel syndrome after reversal surgery" and "About the "feeling of nerve flow" that I feel after ETS reversal surgery #09", my numbness in my hand is centered around the entire palm, or the thumb, forefinger, and middle finger, and I think that the nerve that feels a violent flow to connect now is the median nerve in the arm.

However, there is a slight difference between the numbness description on Wikipedia and my feeling and what I think about it.

It is written on Wikipedia that nerves are damaged due to blood flow stagnant. However, I feel that the numbness in my hands has nothing to do with blood flow and is due to the intense flow of nerves.
I think that it is the same that numbness occurs when I sit down seiza-style.
It means that blood flow may be hampered by sitting down seiza-style, but nerve flow also will be hampered from the broken knee to the tip. In particular, my nerves are flowing violently in my toes when I stand up, which, I think, may cause numbness.
The reason I can think so is that I once had a lumbar sympathetic block (LSB).  It is to block the nerves that go to the feet by alcohol, but that alcohol was only effective in about half a year.
When I felt the moment when the effect run out, I clearly felt the nerves slowly flowing from my waist to my toes.

I think the reason why my hands don't connect in that way is that there is a part that was withered and stopped abound the shoulder. However, it is gradually recovering.

I went off the track a little, but what I wanted to write here is that I think that the numbness in my hand is due to the feeling of nerve flow, and it's occuring like a flow of water in a hose rather than a flow of electric current.


Back to English articles

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿